Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Reflection for Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WEDNESDAY OF THE THIRD WEEK OF LENT

In reflecting on today’s reading, this particular passage below resonated with me.

“However, take care and be earnestly on your guard
not to forget the things which your own eyes have seen,
nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live,
but teach them to your children and to your children’s children.”

As one who understands, recognizes and believes that I stand on the shoulders of many who have passed wisdom throughout my family community over the past several decades, I have an appreciation for both formal and informal education.  What I have learned from my family has provided me with invaluable knowledge and keen awareness that I could have never imagined gaining from structured educational systems.  It is my belief that in order to build and maintain a family community, there has to be a foundation in which history, tradition, customs, rituals and truth are carried throughout generations.

I have also learned that there is a great sense of privilege in having both intelligence and wisdom. Some naturally possess these, some are educationally trained, and many have life experiences that enable them to possess these as well. This intelligence provides us with knowledge that many are not privy.  I believe that with privilege comes responsibility and obligation. We are children of the world and answer to something larger than self.  We are responsible for sustaining our communities and adding to the many structures of life through the passing of knowledge. 

It is my responsibility to teach my child(ren) about the richness of their history that predates America’s existence; the influence that their ancestors had on modern science, language, medicine, astronomy, religion, etc.; the strength and the beauty of who they are and others who are like them; the injustices that were and are currently faced by many in the United States and world; and the strength, hope and perseverance of those who fought against those social wrongs.  It is my responsibility to ensure that my child(ren) make those connections to their mere existence today. I owe gratitude to my family and extended family circle for imparting this knowledge and making the connection for me. What I have gained from what their eyes have seen is imbedded in me and shapes my being. I can only hope to teach my child(ren) and their child(ren) as those who have taught me.

LaTanya Buck, Director of the Cross Cultural Center (since 2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment