Friday, February 16, 2018

Reflection for Friday, February 16, 2018

Friday after Ash Wednesday
IS 58:1-9A
PS 51:3-4, 5-6AB, 18-19
MT 9:14-15

In today’s readings I am reminded of the multitude of voices that exist, even if there is one clear one to which we should listen. I am reminded that there are competing ideas of what is good and true, even if the message from Jesus is clear.

Lately, I have trouble making sense of all the voices I hear throughout the day. Sometimes it does feel like they are voices in my head, because I consume these voices without the context of others. Whether it is reading email or the news on my phone, zoning out by looking at pictures on Instagram, listening to the radio or to podcasts, I hear these voices when I am alone. While solitude can be refreshing and invigorating, solitude makes it more difficult to discern what is real and true. Our interactions with others confirm our reality, but when there are so many voices that I am hearing on my own, I struggle. It is too much to decipher alone. In thinking of the multitude of voices, inaction becomes an easy choice. When there is too much to do or too many choices to make, inaction is the easiest choice. Further, listening should be actionable, and thus relational. Listening can be the feeding of the poor or the sheltering of the homeless. 


The idea of fasting during Lent can be interpreted many ways. It can be a literal fast or a change of habit, and I use it as an opportunity to reevaluate a part of my life and to hit the re-set button. I’m hoping that this Lent I can be mindful of the many voices I hear every day, and that I can practice discerning the truth from them. I hope I am open enough to hear others, to engage with them, and I hope I listen more carefully to the clearest message we have, to love God and to love others above all else. I hope I evaluate how I enact that love, as I do think it is literal and actionable. My fast can be an evaluation of to whom and how I listen to people, how I make my listening an action, and to engage in a community through listening.

Julie O'Heir is the Program Coordinator for the SLU Prison Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment