Monday, February 26, 2018

Reflection for Monday, February 26, 2018

Monday of the Second Week in Lent
DN 9:4B-10
PS 79:8, 9, 11 AND 13
LK 6:36-38


In the reading from Deuteronomy, we encounter our God who is compassionate, merciful, and forgiving in the face of human sin. It is easy to be grateful for this God who unwaveringly loves us enough to define us by more than our worst mistakes. What is not so easy, however, is to be like our God in the expanse of our mercifulness as Jesus in the Gospel of Luke implores to. Jesus’ call to be merciful as God is in actuality the call to emulate the life of Christ that is central to the season of Lent.
Often, I am caught up in an impulse during Lent to “prove myself” to God, and I allow myself to believe that sacrifices during Lent help me show God that I am capable of doing good and therefore I myself am “good.” With this mindset, I have sometimes used Lent as a time to try to earn God’s love, to somehow show that I am worthy and lovable through my acts of self-denial. But God’s love is not contingent upon my goodness and that love does not disappear because of my mistakes; it is God’s mercy that allows God to love me for who I am exactly where I am. Receiving this love then requires that I respond by being like the God who has extended so much compassion and mercy to me.
Remembering this call to mercy, Lent becomes an invitation to live more like Christ in the depth of our compassion rather than a time to impress God. Lent is the time to shift questions away from asking if others deserve our compassion so that we might begin to ask how we might be merciful as God is merciful and extend compassion to all who are struggling.  Lent is also a wonderful time to examine how intentional we are about caring for even those who we usually think are not worthy of our compassion. To be merciful as God is merciful, we must remember that to God no one is unworthy of compassion. If we regularly ignore the struggles of those who are incarcerated, those who suffer from addiction, or even our own parents, we are called especially during Lent to enter into the realities of others and accompany them as God accompanies us.


Julia Nouse is a sophomore studying theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment