Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Reflection for Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent
IS 1:10, 16-20
PS 50:8-9, 16BC-17, 21 AND 23
MT 23:1-12


Caleb Williams was a great friend to my family when I was growing up.  A married father of two girls, he worked in the paper mill in my hometown of Millinocket, Maine and he looked every bit the part of a north New England laborer.  He wore his long hair under a railroad conductor’s cap and preferred faded jeans and boots, no matter the occasion.  Although Caleb had a rough exterior, it was clear to everyone who knew him that he loved sharing his talents, his resources, and his time to help others--particularly young people.

In the Gospel that is being shared during this second week of lent, Jesus cautions a crowd about the scribes and Pharisees.  “For they preach but do not practice.  They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them.  All their works are performed to be seen.”

When I hear these words, I’m reminded of how easy it is for the best-intentioned people to worry about appearances and forget the joy, fulfillment, and community that comes from humbly easing others’ burdens, even in simple ways.  Caleb seemed to never forget this.

Caleb’s generosity became evident to me when I was a teenager; I wanted to play the guitar, but my family couldn’t afford to buy me one.  Caleb knew about my passion for music and after speaking with my mother he approached me with a proposal.  If I would agree to paint his garage, he would buy me a guitar.  Within a month, his garage was painted (a bit sloppy, but painted none-the-less), and I owned an instrument that would set the stage for a musical career that remains today. 

Caleb’s easing of a seemingly small burden in my life all those years ago led to a myriad of gifts that I continue to enjoy.  Through music, I have experienced extraordinary friendships, I have traveled to interesting places, and I have developed a second vocation that provides me with a creative and cathartic outlet.  And I owe it all to a man who dismissed any worries about pretense and lived his life in a way that, to me, represents the respect and care for others that Jesus speaks about in his Gospel.

Many years ago, Caleb died as he lived—easing the burdens of others.  Working high on a scaffold, one of his young co-workers lost balance and Caleb instinctively rushed to assist him.  The co-worker was saved and Caleb tragically fell, passing away in the hospital days later.  In my adult life, I never got the chance to properly thank Caleb for what his gesture meant to me.  And I firmly believe that he would expect no thanks for any of his gestures, big or small.  He simply wanted to help others, he wanted to be true to himself, and as the Gospel suggests, he wanted to practice the kindness and humility that he preached.

Rob Boyle, PhD is Assistant Dean and Assistant Professor of Management in the Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business.


No comments:

Post a Comment