Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reflection for Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday of Holy Week

"Fac cor nostrum secundum cor tuum" is a Latin phrase meaning "Make our hearts like Yours". Derived from the Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, it centers the call of this year's Lenten journey as spoken by the Holy Father, Pope Francis.
At first glance, the readings today almost seem contradictory. Isaiah 49: 6 states, "I will make you a light to the nations..." On the other hand, the Gospel of John foretells the infamous denial by Peter, who would later become the Rock of the Church. Why is that these two readings today are spoken especially as a prelude to the holiest week of the year? This ironic juxtaposition literally crucifies us in the decision of if we are going to follow Christ or keep going through our mistakes without repentance or second thought. For me, it forces me to reflect on how and if my thoughts and actions have allowed Christ's light to shine through me.
How often have I chosen to judge?
How much have my own insecurities afflicted others?
I think the best imagery that I could communicate this allegorical crucifixion is imagining myself being completely immobilized by stakes of doubt and fear at my throat- cutting off my sense of rationality- but I know simply kicking at the base of one of the stakes would free me from this prison. So, do I stay immobilized in my cage of doubt and fear and use them as comfortable crutches? See, we are at a crossroads between decisions. Do I find security in my doubt and fear? Or do I find it in God?
Regardless, we have to realize that there is hope. There is always hope. Every Peter in us has this gift of hope for the taking.
It is in the Lord that we take refuge (Ps 71:1). It is He who has called us from birth and in our mother's womb He gave us our name (Is 49:1). The significance of naming is a motif that has also been seen in Genesis when Adam names all of creation. Naming creates ownership and a sense of care. Thus, we are His, and we are moved and stirred in the hearts crafted by Him to turn to Him and find "recompense with my God" (Is 49:4). The season of Lent always starts with Ash Wednesday, and we are quickly coming to the "big event." The anticipation is building- just like Christmas! Staying within our crucifixion or believing through Jesus' Crucifixion gives our hearts formation for the better or worse in preparation for the Resurrection.
Now, reflect back to the beginning of Lent.
Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.
Connect the puzzle.
Remember that you belong to God and to God you shall return.
Hear His call.
Remember to turn your hearts to God and your heart will be like His.


Anne Yoon is a junior majoring in Chemistry and serves as a Resident Advisor for the Diversity & Unity Learning Community housed in the Griesedieck Complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment